Daniele (Italy, 1981) is an award-winning documentary photographer based in Guatemala. His images are chiefly aimed at exploring issues related to human rights and social justice in Latin America. He is also interested in narrating the “human stories” that define Guatemalan society in the aftermath of genocide.
His project on the “Ixil Genocide” was published as a book, “Chukel”.
Daniele tracked the events unfolding around the development of gold mining in Guatemala’s western highlands with special attention to portraying community opposition to the mining project. In 2012 he published “Under the Same Sky” a book of photographs on the topic with accompanying text in three languages (Spanish, English and Italian).
In addition, he has attended several workshops with accomplished photographers, Rodrigo Abd, Ron Haviv, Luis Gonzales Palma, Cia de Foto, Alejandro Castellote.
His works have also been published in numerous outlets, including GEO magazine, National Geographic Proof, TIME LightBox, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Al Jazeera America, Univision Noticias, The British Journal of Photography, The Guardian, el Periodico, il Reportage, Makeshift, 6mois, among others.
- Award from National Geographic at Eddie Adams Workshop
- 2nd place as Photographer of the Year in Latin America 2015 at POY Latam
- 3th place in News Series at POY Latam
- Honorable Mention in News Single at POY Latam
- Honorable Mention in NPPA-Best of Photojournalism
- Finalist at FotoEvidence Book Award 2015
- Finalist at Direct Look 2015
- Selected for XXVIII Eddie Adams Workshop.
- Selected for Annual New York Portfolio Review sponsored by the New York Times Lens blog, 2015.
- Honorable Mentions at Photocrati Fund 2014-2015
- Shortlisted at Felix-Schoeller Photo Award 2015
- Shortlisted at Athens Photo Festival 2015
- Instituto Italiano de Cultura, Guatemala City (Ixil Genocide)
- Photo Journ Festival, Bangkok, Thailand (Ixil Genocide)
- Milan, Italy (Under the Same Sky)